Hastings City Bank was founded in 1886 when 35 Hastings investors provided the initial capital of $50,000. The original investors included farmers, publishers, dry goods and hardware merchants, druggists, lawyers, a doctor and an accountant.
The intent was to finance manufacturing activity so that Hastings could share the fruits of a growing industrial revolution. At the time, the town’s economy was mostly served by sawmills. There were two rail lines which brought freight, passengers and daily newspapers from Grand Rapids and Detroit. As our bank grew through the years, we expanded into new service areas including Middleville, Caledonia, Nashville, Bellevue, Wayland and Marshall. Our main branch and corporate headquarters remain in downtown Hastings, one block from our original site.
Today’s assets total over $250 million. Over 125 years later, our focus remains the same - providing and maintaining the excellent customer service that has been our hallmark since 1886.
Hastings City Bank…meeting customer needs, exceeding expectations.