WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OVERDRAFTS AND OVERDRAFT FEES.
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to another account or a line of credit, which may be less costly than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions without your consent:
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
An overdrawn balance must be repaid within 35 days. We may not pay items under your overdraft privilege if you do not maintain your account in good standing by bringing your account to a positive balance within every thirty-five (35) day period for a minimum of 24 hours, if you default on any loan or other obligation to Hastings City Bank or if your account is subject to any legal or administrative order or levy.
What fees will I be charged if Hastings City Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $34 each time we pay an overdraft
- We will not charge you a fee if your account is overdrawn by less than $10
- There is a limit of $170 per day on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account
What if I want Hastings City Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts for which an overdraft fee will be assessed on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call (269) 945-2401, or complete the form below and present it at a branch or mail it to: 150 West Court Street, Hastings, MI 49058-1892. You can revoke your authorization for Hastings City Bank to pay these overdrafts at any time by any of the above methods. Your revocation must include both your name and your account number so that we can properly identify your account.